Basic Uniform Commercial Code
Unfair Credit Practice
- ... [I]t is an unfair act or practice ... for a lender or retail installment seller directly or indirectly to take or receive from a consumer an obligation that:
- Constitutes or contains a cognovit or confession of judgment (for purposes other than executory process in the State of Louisiana), warrant of attorney, or other waiver of the right to notice and the opportunity to be heard in the event of suit or process thereon.
- Constitutes or contains an executory waiver or a limitation of exemption from attachment, execution, or other process on real or personal property held, owned by, or due to the consumer, unless the waiver applies solely to property subject to a security interest executed in connection with the obligation.
- Constitutes or contains an assignment of wages or other earnings unless:
- The assignment by its terms is revocable at the will of the debtor, or
- The assignment is a payroll deduction plan or preauthorized payment plan, commencing at the time of the transaction, in which the consumer authorizes a series of wage deductions as a method of making each payment, or
- The assignment applies only to wages or other earnings already earned at the time of the assignment.
- Constitutes or contains a nonpossessory security interest in household goods other than a purchase money security interest.