LAW 565-001 – Professional Responsibility
Lawyer as a Witness
- A lawyer shall not act as advocate at a trial in which the lawyer is likely to be a necessary witness unless:
- the testimony relates to an uncontested issue;
- the testimony relates to the nature and value of legal services rendered in the case; or
- disqualification of the lawyer would work substantial hardship on the client.
- A lawyer may act as advocate in a trial in which another lawyer in the lawyer's firm is likely to be called as a witness unless precluded from doing so by Rule 1.7 or Rule 1.9.