LAW 521-002 – Civil Procedure I
Served in Forum State
- Cannot use served in forum state on a company, as they can only be served in their domicile.
- Can't serve someone who's tricked into the state
- Judicial Process Exemption – Can't serve someone who's travelling to state just to attend court
Other controls or limits:
- You must serve them within 90 days of filing the complaint in that state.
Class 13 allows:
- Federal court to transfer case to another state
- State courts have authority to dismiss a case that is too inconvenient; thus, rare for a case to be heard in a state where it is unfair.