LAW 511-002 – Torts I
- confining or restraining another
- in a bounded area, and
- not a bounded area if there is a reasonable means of escape
- Must be apparent or known
- Can't involve exposure or danger to clothes, self, or others
- or harmed under Restatement of Torts
The individual may be restrained by force or threat of force. Moral persuasion does not constitute force or threat of force.
Conviction of the crime arrested for is a defense for false imprisonment.
Private citizens can legally detain others. They are only liable for helping police if it is not requested.