Wills, Trusts, and Estates
Degree of Relationship
Degree of relationship is a method of measuring how related people are by counting the number of parental links that must be traversed, up or down, to reach someone.
- Parents – 1
- Siblings – 2 (up to parent, then down to sibling)
- Grandparents – 2 (up to parent, then up to grandparent)
- Uncles/Aunts – 3 (up to parent, then up to grandparent, then down to uncle/aunt)
- First Cousins – 4 (up to parent, then up to grandparent, then down to uncle/aunt, then down to cousin)
- Great-grandparents – 3 (up to parent, then up to grandparent, then up to great-grandparent)
- First Cousins Once Removed (either direction) – 5
- Second Cousins – 6
- Fifth Cousins Twice Removed (either direction) – 12
There is a chart on page 85.