18 U.S.C. § 3553 provides in part that punishment should be decided taking into account:
- the nature and circumstances of the offense and the history and characteristics of the defendant;
- the need for the sentence imposed—
- to reflect the seriousness of the offense, to promote respect for the law, and to provide just punishment for the offense;
- to afford adequate deterrence to criminal conduct;
- to protect the public from further crimes of the defendant; and
- to provide the defendant with needed educational or vocational training, medical care, or other correctional treatment in the most effective manner ...